Friday, February 27, 2009

The Chicken...

I will start this post by saying thanks to Hanne, Sharon and Court for putting together a food blogger meet up at Blue Plate Diner last night. It was fantastic to meet everyone, and we're looking forward to the next one!

I was talking to a couple people last night about the chicken that has been sitting in our freezer for the past couple weeks, and I suppose the greater debate... every time I open our freezer I look at it, think about eating it, then run over the veggie vs. "I live in AB" debate in my head.

My personal debate started a few months ago but it's really been with me more since listening to Jon Steinman at the Deconstructing Dinner iWeek session a few weeks ago, and other sessions about the CSA Grain Project in Nelson, as well as an info session about farming in Alberta.

Isabelle from The Little Red Kitchen (also at the meet up last night) recently started eating meat again for similar reasons. I read her post on this a few weeks ago, and it definitely added some more fire to the "I live in AB" side of the debate. I think the chicken posted below will likely be headed for the oven some time next week, and thankfully Isabelle has posted a roast chicken recipe that looks to be a good re-start in my encounters with poultry.

"The Chicken"

7 comments:

Maki said...

I heard a little bit about the chicken conversation last night, bad acoustics at the restaurant made it hard to hear a lot of what was being said. It was nice to meet both of you and I look forward to getting to read your blog now that I've found it :)

Chris said...

Ah ha! Here it is. Looks like a delicious meal and it's not even cooked yet. You should look into the 40 garlic clove chicken recipe...if you like garlic that is.

Great to meet you guys. Looking forward to bagels and bread.

Marianne said...

Thanks, Maki. Looking forward to reading yours also.

Chris, I will definitely look into the garlic recipe... I want something great for the new-first round of chicken... I'm officially on the hunt.

Sharon said...

Thanks again for coming last night! Your chicken discussion sounds interesting - we'll have to do it again.

Anonymous said...

My favouite chicken "recipe" is just to quarter a lemon and stuff the chicken cavity with that and a sprig of fresh rosemary. The lemon keeps the chicken moist, so I've never overdried it that way!

It was very nice to meet the two of you last night. Keep us posted about your bagel experiments. I'd love to hear about your discoveries!

Chris said...

I was watching Chef at Home today (apple episode) and noticed he did a chicken on top of an apple/onion bed. Looked great. Just another thought.

http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8630

Isabelle said...

I tried to write this comment a few days ago, but it didn't work ... so excuse me if it's a little old!

I can understand your chicken debate...I am happy to be eating meat now, but my husband was the key instigator in our push to eat it again, and without him I think it would have taken me a lot more time and debate. But I promise you, the roast chicken we have made from our Sunworks chickens is absolutely delicious. Good luck!