Sunday, June 20, 2010

Haven and Herbs

We were on our way out to Salisbury Greenhouse last Sunday in search of 20% off plants, and decided a quick stop at Cafe Haven would be the first step.


When we arrived around 11:30 we found a packed patio and a sold out brunch. But no worries, there were a couple nice seats inside receiving perfect light and I found a veggie frittata bagel to enjoy with my first iced latte of the summer. All in all, a very successful stop.



Charles, decked out in site crew regalia which has recently been inviting questions like, "If I'm a senior can I still come without a ticket even if Folk Fest passes are sold out?" (The answer, BTW, is yes. Just bring your photo id for the gate. That includes the Van Morrison concert too.)





That iced latte was lovely, with an excellent espresso to milk ratio. My only complaint was its very large size... I couldn't finish it. I'm patiently waiting right now for Zocalo to begin making their espresso milkshakes again (usually offered in July and August - that's it) - a creamy, rich, cold drink packed into a tidy, small package. It's always the perfect amount.

As for the herb situation, we only found one good rosemary plant, and I ended up grabbing lavender, parsley, mint, basil and thyme from Inspired Market Gardens at the City Centre Market yesterday.

Cafe Haven
9 Sioux Road
Sherwood Park
780.417.5523
Hours: M-F (8am - 9pm); Sa (9am - 6pm); Su (10am - 4pm)
Cafe Haven on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

A Canadian Foodie said...

I've been dying to go and still have not been there!

Marianne said...

It's definitely worth a stop. I used to go with my dad quite a bit before moving out of the Park, and it was nice to return and see that they are doing well.

Isabelle said...

These photos are fab! Everything looks delicious. I agree with Valerie - I really want to go there. If I had a car I'd be there ASAP.

Marianne said...

I know, Isabelle. It's very out of the way, and I haven't been since moving out of the Park a few years back. Luckily a friend has loaned us his car for most of the summer, so small trips are possible... completely understand.