Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Birthday Brunch + Fort Edmonton Park

It's my dad's birthday today and in celebration, we decided to vary things up a bit from our usual tea and cake, settling on a long weekend brunch. Charles and I headed over Sunday morning with our panniers full of eggs, asparagus and potato salad.

I used this recipe from Epicurious for the Hollandaise (my first ever), and it turned out well. We took the advice of several reviewers and cut down the butter to 2/3 of a cup. Though I likely will next time, I didn't melt the butter beforehand, and my brother ended up cutting it into tablespoon sized pats adding them one at a time to the egg and cream mixture. Although we thought the eggs had scrambled, the sauce came out lemony, smooth and buttery and there were rave reviews around the table.


For the 'potato salad' I roasted some German Butter Potatoes found at the City Market, as well as some red and yellow peppers, tossed them together with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano, and voilà, a potato salad fit for brunch.


After gift opening we decided to hop on our bikes and head down to Fort Edmonton Park for opening weekend. Not much has changed since our last visit, save the addition of a theatre (in progress) next to the Selkirk Hotel.  But as always, the wander through was enjoyed.













The 'little' brother

We left covered in mosquito bites, and just as we got up the hill into Belgravia the skies opened up, but overall, it was a fantastic way to spend a Sunday.

Hope you had a lovely long weekend!

No comments: